Flutterbys.....

Today I finally got round to a project I've had in mind since we went to York last year (can't believe its been that long!) In the York Museum they had an old fashioned classroom and in there was a Butterfly Box (that's probably not what they're really called) I've always been fascinated by these - my Uncle Ken had one when I was little - I love to look at Butterflies but don't like things flying near me so sadly this is the only way I get to have a good look at them! Here is a pic of the one in the museum - it's not a great pic as it was taken in a dark room with my old dying camera



Since I saw this I've had it in mind to make my own (from paper obviously!) and today I did! Made from Daisy D's Coin Holders backed onto chipboard - the butterflies are punched from scraps and layered with glossy accents, tulle and gems - I even managed to get in a tiny Tim Holtz spinner! I used gold wax round the inside edges so no chipboard showed through and to give it a lovely vintagey look



I think I'll make a few more now! I'd still like to make a bigger box but am waiting for something to inspire me for that one - will probably need a bigger butterfly punch too!

I also received my Dear Lizzy goodies from Sarah's Cards today - everything is soooo lovely I was almost tempted to use them but decided I need a bit more stoking time before attacking them with scissors - they're THAT nice! Something for the weekend....... x

2 comments:

  1. looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your butterfly display, so much nicer than having musty real ones in a box. Always makes me sad.

    Loving all your projects, I always pop by and have a look, but I don't always comment.

    Luv Dee xxx

    ReplyDelete